Mechanical Engineering Faculty Profile:
Dr. Peter Sandborn
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Director, Maryland Technology Enterprise Institute (MTech)
2106A Glenn L. Martin Hall, Building 088
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Electronic packaging and reliability; life cycle cost analysis of electronic systems; technology obsolescence management (DMSMS); technology tradeoff analysis; supply chain management and parts selection and management for electronic systems; prognostics and health management (PHM) for electronic systems; design for environment of electronic systems.
Ph.D., University of Michigan, 1987
- Sandborn, P., "Trapped on Technology’s Trailing Edge," IEEE Spectrum, Vol. 45, No. 4, pp. 42-45, 54, 56-58, April 2008.
- Singh, P., and P. Sandborn, "Obsolescence Driven Design Refresh Planning for Sustainment-Dominated Systems," The Engineering Economist, Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 115-139, April-June 2006.
- Kleyner, A., and P. Sandborn, "Minimizing Life Cycle Cost by Managing Product Dependability via Validation Plan and Warranty Return Cost," International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 112, No. 2, pp. 796-807, April 2008.
- Sandborn, P.A., and C. Wilkinson, "A Maintenance Planning and Business Case Development Model for the Application of Prognostics and Health Management (PHM) to Electronic Systems," Microelectronics Reliability, Vol. 47, No. 12, pp. 1889-1901, December 2007.
- Sandborn, P., V. Prabhakar, and B. Eriksson "The Application of Product Platform Design to the Reuse of Electronic Components Subject to Long-Term Supply Chain Disruptions," Proceedings of the ASME 2008 International Design Engineering Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, New York, NY, Aug. 2008.
- Sandborn, P.A., B. Etienne, and G. Subramanian, "Application-Specific Economic Analysis of Integral Passives,"' IEEE Trans. on Electronics Packaging Manufacturing, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 203-213, July 2001.
Scientific and Professional Membership
Invited Speaker: MIT, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Chalmers University, Loughborough University; Associate Editor: IEEE Transactions on Electronics Packaging Manufacturing; Editorial board of the International Journal of Performability Engineering;Conference chair and program chair: ASME Design for Manufacturing and Life Cycle Conference; Program Committee: IEEE Multichip Module Conference; SIA CAD Tool roadmap, NEMI Passive Components Technology Working Group; Reviewer: IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging, and Manufacturing Technology–Parts A, B, C, IEEE Transactions on VLSI, IEEE Design & Test of Computers, Journal of Industrial Ecology, Design Automation Conference (DAC), INTERpack Conference.
Honors and Awards
The Engineering Economist journal 2006 Best Paper Award, for “Obsolescence Driven Design Refresh Planning for Sustainment-Dominated Systems;” SOLE Proceedings Paper Award for best paper published during 2004 for "Forecasting Technology Insertion Concurrent with Design Refresh Planning for COTS-Based Electronics Systems.” 2009 Poole and Kent Teaching Award for Senior Faculty.