Chung, Peter W.
- Problems solved at the intersection of mechanics, physics, materials science, and computing
- Multiscale simulations and computational approaches that connect nano-to-meso-to-micro/macro scales
- Mesostructure and microstructure modeling
- Multiscale science and engineering of matter across space and time scales
- Computational science and high performance computing
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, December, 1999
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, December, 1996
- B.S., Aerospace Engineering w/ High Honors, University of Virginia, May, 1994
Honors and Awards
- 2010 Army Science Conference Best Paper Award (w/ S. Izvekov and B. M. Rice)
- 2008 ICCES Outstanding Young Investigator Award in Computation
- 2004 U.S. Army, Research, Development and Engineering Command, Outstanding Young Scientist & Engineer
- 2003 Department of the Army, Superior Civilian Service Award
- 2003 Baltimore Federal Executive Board, Excellence in Federal Career Award, Bronze Medal
- 22nd Army Sciences Conference Best Paper Award, 2000 (w/ R Namburu)
Professional Memberships and Service
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) (1998)
- Editorial Boards: International Journal for Computational Multiscale Engineering (current)
- J. Crone, K. Leiter, J. Knap, P. W. Chung, A. Arsenlis, S. Aubry, M. Tang, G. Hommes, “A Massively Parallel Coupled Finite Element Discrete Dislocation Dynamics Simulator.” in review, 2013.
- L. B. Munday, R. Mitchell, J. Knap, and P. W. Chung, “The importance of molecule flexibility on the nucleation of dislocations in molecular crystals." in review, 2013.
- M. M. Shahzamanian, T. Tadepalli, A. M. Rajendran, R. Mohan, W. Hodo, R. Valisetty, P. W. Chung, and J. J. Ramsey, “Representative Volume Element Based Modeling of Cementitious Materials." in review, 2013.
- J. J. Ramsey and P. W. Chung, “Massively Parallel Asymptotic Expansion Homogenization for Complex Microstructures.” in review, 2013.
- J. Solomon, P. W. Chung, D. Srivastava, E. Darve, “Method and Advantages of Genetic Algorithms in Parameterization of Interatomic Potentials: Metal-Oxides.” arXiv preprint arXiv:1306.1196, 2013.
- N. Mathew, C. Picu, P. W. Chung, “Peierls Stress of Dislocations in Molecular Crystal Cyclotrimethylene Trinitramine." The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 117, 5326, 2013.
- N. S. Weingarten and P. W. Chung, “a-Type edge dislocation mobility in wurtzite GaN using molecular dynamics.” Scripta Materialia, 69, 311, 2013.
- B. Kraczek and P. W. Chung, “Investigation of direct and indirect phonon-mediated bond excitation in alpha-RDX.” The Journal of Chemical Physics, 138, 074505, 2013.
- Chi-Chin Wu, Peter W. Chung, Sylvie Aubry, Lynn B. Munday, Athanasios Arsenlis, “On the strength of binary junctions in hexagonal close-packed crystals.” Acta Materialia, 61, 3422, 2013.
- L. Munday, S. Solares, P. W. Chung, “Generalized stacking fault energy surfaces in the molecular crystal alpha-RDX." Philosophical Magazine, 92, 3036, 2012.
- B. J. Henz, P.W. Chung, J. W. Andzelm, T.L. Chantawansri, J.L. Lenhart, and F.L. Beyer, “Determination of Binding Energy and Solubility Parameters for Functionalized Gold Nanoparticles by Molecular Dynamics Simulation." Langmuir, 27, 7836, 2011.
- Z. Zhang, A. Chatterjee, C. Grein, A. J. Ciani, P. W. Chung, “Atomic-scale modeling of InxGa1-xN quantum dot self-assembly." Journal of Vacuum Science, 29, 03C133, 2011.
- S. Izvekov, P. W. Chung, and B. M. Rice, “Non-equilibrium molecular dynamics simulation study of heat transport in RDX”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 54, 5623, 2011.
- S. Izvekov, P. W. Chung and B. M. Rice, “Particle-based multiscale coarse graining with density-dependent potentials: Application to molecular crystals." Journal of Chemical Physics, 135, 044112, 2011.
- J. Crone, J. Knap, P. W. Chung, and B. M. Rice, “Role of Microstructure in the Initiation of Ni-Al Reactive Multilayers." Applied Physics Letters, 98, 141910, 2011.
- L. Munday, P. W. Chung, B. M. Rice, and S. Solares, “Simulations of High Pressure Phases in RDX.” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 115, 4378-4386, 2011.