Distinguished University Professor
2106B Glenn L. Martin Hall, Building 088
- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1971
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 1983 ASME Fellow
- 1992 ASME Dedicated Service Award "for his work in Professional Development"
- 1994 ASME Edwin F. Church Medal, "In recognition of contributions to engineering education, continuing education and professional development on both the national and international levels"
- 1993 IEEE Fellow
- 1994 ASME Electronic and Electrical Packaging Division, Outstanding Contribution Award "For outstanding contributions to application of Heat Transfer Science to Electronic Packaging"
- 1994-1997 ASME Distinguished Lecturer
- 1997 IEEE/Semi-Therm THERMI Significant Contributor Award "For his many contributions to the thermal management of semiconductors"
- 1998 ASME/IEEE ITHERM Memorial Award "For significant contributions to the field of thermal and thermomechanical engineering for electronics packaging"
- 1999 ASME Heat Transfer Memorial Award "For work contributing to a greater understanding of immersion cooling, pool boiling of dielectric fluids, and other aspects of electronics cooling"
- 1999 ASME Curriculum Innovation Award, Board on Engineering Education, for "The Classroom of the Future: An Internet-Delivered National Course on Thermal Management of Electronics," (with S. Bhavnani and Y. Joshi)
- 2000 ASME Worcester Reed Warner Medal, "..for outstanding contributions to the literature in the area of heat transfer, including more than 180 technical papers, and pioneering research and experimentation in electronic cooling and natural convection"
- 2000 IEEE Distinguished Lecturer
- 2002 IEEE CPMT Society, Outstanding Sustained Technical Contributions Award, "for contributions to thermal design, modeling, and analysis and for original research on ebullient and liquid-phase cooling"
- 2007 ASME InterPack Achievement Award “for his long term and continued contributions in the field of Electronic and Photonic packaging”
- 2007 ASME Honorary Member “for development of the scientific foundation for thermal management of electronic components and systems… and for seminal contributions and leadership in research, practice and education in the thermal management of micro and nanoelectronic systems”
- 2008 Luikov Medal, International Center for Heat and Mass Transfer “for outstanding contributions to the science and art of Heat and Mass Transfer and for activities in international scientific cooperation in conjunction with ICHMT programs”
- President, Assembly for International Heat Transfer Conferences(2010-2014)
- Member, Executive Committee, Mechanical Engineering Department Heads Committee (2004-2008)
- Member and Vice President, Assembly for International Heat Transfer Conferences (2002-2010)
- Member, Steering Committee, Nanotechnology Institute, (2001-2004)
- Vice-President for Research, Board on Research and Technology Development (1998-2001)
- Chair of the US Scientific Committee of the International Heat Transfer Assembly (1998-2002)
- Member, Executive Committee, Board on Research and Technology Development (1995-1998)
- Chair (1981-1985), Member (1986- ) K-16 Committee for Heat Transfer in Electronic Equipment
- Chair, BRTD Research Committee on Packaging and Physical Design of Electronic Equipment (1988-1990)
- Secretary, BRTD Technical Opportunities and Planning Committee, (1989-1992)
- Member, ASME Board on Professional Development (1989-1995)
- Associate Editor, ASME Transactions Journal of Mechanical Design, (1978-1982)
- Associate Editor, ASME Applied Mechanics Reviews, (1985-1991)
- Member, IEEE/CPMT Board of Governors (2012-2015)
- Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE/CPMT Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies (1995-2009)
- Member, IEEE/CPMT Board of Governors (1995-2005)
- Vice-chairman of the IEEE/CHMT TC-9 Committee on Thermal Control (1990-1993)
Development and application of thermal science and engineering to silicon and compound semiconductor nanoelectronic and optoelectronic components Thermal design and optimization Ebullient heat transfer Two-phase flow in miniature channels Thermoelectric phenomena Conduction in anisotropic materials Polymer heat exchangers
- Bar-Cohen, A. and P. Wang, 2012, “Thermal Management of On-Chip Hot Spots,” ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, DOI 10.1115/1.4005708
- Cevallos, J.G., A.E. Bergles, A. Bar-Cohen, P. Rodgers, and S.K. Gupta, 2012, “Polymer heat exchangers - History, opportunities, and challenges,” Heat Transfer Engineering, DOI:10.1080/01457632.2012.663654; available on-line 3/9/2012
- Rahim, E., R. Revellin, J.R. Thome, A. Bar-Cohen, 2011, “Characterization and Prediction of Two Phase Flow Regimes in Miniature Tubes,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, Volume 37, Issue 1, Pages 12-23
- Wang, P. and A. Bar-Cohen, 2011, “Self Cooling on Germanium Chip,” IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, Vol.1, No.5, pp.705-713
- Arik, M., Kosar, A., Bostanci, H. and Bar-Cohen, A., 2011, “Pool Boiling Critical Heat Flux in Dielectric Liquids and Nano Fluids,” Advances in Heat Transfer – Vol 43, Cho and Green, Eds, Elsevier
- Bar-Cohen, A., Sheehan, J., Rahim, E., 2011, "Two-Phase Thermal Transport in Microgap Channels - Theory, Experimental Results, and Predictive Relations," Microgravity - Science and Technology, September 2011, pp. 1-15, DOI: 10.1007/s12217-011-9284-3
- Khuu, V., M. Osterman, A. Bar-Cohen, and M. Pecht, 2011, “Considerations in the use of Thermal Flash Method for Thermal Measurements of Thermal Interface Materials,” IEEE CPMT Transactions, Vol 1, No. 7, pp 1015-1028
- Song, Bong-Min, B. Han, A. Bar-Cohen, M. Arik, R. Sharma, S. Weaver, 2011, “Life prediction of LED-based recess downlight cooled by synthetic jet,” Microelectronics Reliability, In Press, available on-line, May 2011
- Cevallos, J., S.K. Gupta, A. Bar-Cohen, 2011, “Incorporating moldability considerations during the design of thermally enhanced polymer heat exchangers,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, 133(8):081009, available on-line, August 2011
- Kim, K.J., Avram Bar-Cohen, and Bongtae Han, 2011, “Thermal-Structural Modeling of Polymer Bragg Grating Waveguides Illuminated by a Light Emitting Diode,” Applied Optics, accepted for publication, posted on-line November 2011, Doc. ID 153737
- Kim, D.W., E. Rahim, A. Bar-Cohen, B.T. Han, 2010, "Direct Submount Cooling of High Power LED’s," IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, Volume: 33 Issue:4, pp 698 – 712, DOI: 10.1109/TCAPT.2010.2040618 July 2009
- Jang, C., B.M. Song, B. Han, A. Bar-Cohen, 2010, “Coupled Thermal and Thermo-mechanical Design Assessment of High Power Light Emitting Diode,” IEEE CPT Transactions, Vol 33, Issue 4, pp 688 – 697, DOI: 10.1109/TCAPT.2010.2044413 January 2010
- Sher, I., B. Han, and A. Bar-Cohen, 2010, “Modified Coupled-Mode Model for Thermally Chirped Polymer Bragg Gratings,” Applied Optics, Vol 49, #11, pp 2066-2071.
- Song, B.M. B.Han, A. Bar-Cohen, R. Sharma, M. Arik, 2010,"Hierarchical Life Prediction Model for Actively Cooled LED-Based Luminaire," Vol 33, Issue 4, pp 728 – 737, DOI: 10.1109/TCAPT.2010.2051034, May 2010
- Luckow, P., A. Bar-Cohen, P. Rodgers, J. Cevallos, 2010, “Energy Efficient Polymers For Gas- Liquid Heat Exchangers,” ASME JERT, Vol.132, Issue 2, DOI: 10.1115/1.4001568
- Arik, M. and A. Bar-Cohen, 2010, Pool boiling of Perfluorocarbon Mixtures on Silicon Surfaces, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer (2010), doi:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2010.06.034
- Litvinovitch, V., P. Wang, and A. Bar-Cohen, 2010 “Superlattice Tec Hot Spot Cooling,” IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, Volume: 33, Issue: 1, pp 229-239, DOI: 10.1109/TCAPT.2009.2032297
- Kabov, O.A., D.V. Zaitsev, V.V. Cheverda, and A. Bar-Cohen, 2010, “Evaporation and flow dynamics of thin, shear-driven liquid films in microgap channels,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, Vol 35, Issue 5, pp 825-831
- Geisler, K.J. L., and A. Bar-Cohen, 2009, “Confinement Effects on Nucleate Boiling and Critical Heat Flux in Buoyancy-Driven Microchannels,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer Vol 52, pp 2427–2436; doi:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2009.02.001
- Bar-Cohen, A., E. Rahim, 2009, “Modeling and Prediction of Two-Phase Microgap Channel Heat Transfer Characteristics,” Heat Transfer Engineering, Volume 30, Issue 8, pp 601-625
- Wang, P., B. Yang, and A. Bar-Cohen, 2009, “Mini-Contact Enhanced Thermoelectric Coolers For On-Chip Hot Spot Cooling,” Heat Transfer Engineering, Vol 30, Issue 9, pp 736-743
- Bar-Cohen, A. and P. Wang, 2009, "On Chip Hot Spot Remediation with Miniaturized Thermoelectric Coolers", Microgravity Science and Technology, Volume 21, Issue 1, pp 351-362
- Khuu, K., M. Osterman, A. Bar-Cohen, and M. Pecht, 2009, “Effects of Temperature Cycling and Elevated Temperature/Humidity on the Thermal Performance of Thermal Interface Materials,” IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability, Vol 9, Number 3, pp 379-391
- Geisler, K.J.L. and A. Bar-Cohen, 2009, “Passive Immersion Cooling of 3-D Stacked Dies,” IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, Vol 32 (3), pp. 557-565; doi: 10.1109/TCAPT.2008.2006186
- Luckow, P., A. Bar-Cohen, P. Rodgers, 2009, “Minimum Mass Polymer Seawater Heat Exchanger for LNG Applications,” ASME TSEA, Vol 1, Issue 3, doi:10.1115/1.4001239.
- Bar-Cohen, A., Han, B., and Kim, K.J., 2007, “Thermo-Optic Effects in Polymer Bragg Gratings,” Chapter 2, in Micro- and Optoelectronic Materials and Structures: Physics, Mechanics, Design, Reliability and Packaging, Y.C. Lee and E. Suhir, Editors, Springer, New York, pp. 65-111.
- Bar-Cohen, A., Kraus, A.D., and Geisler, K., 2006, “Thermal Analysis and Design of Electronic Systems,” in RF and Microwave Handbook, M. Golio, Editor, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida.
- Arik, M. and Bar-Cohen, A., 2003, "Effusivity-Based Correlation of Surface Property Effects in Pool Boiling CHF of Dielectric Liquids," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 46, pp 3755-3764.
- Afgan, N., Carvalho, M. Prstic, S., Bar-Cohen, A., 2003, "Sustainability Assessment of Aluminum Heat Sink Design," Heat Transfer Engineering, 24 (4), pp 39-48.
- Iyengar, M., and Bar-Cohen, A., 2003, "Least-Energy Optimization of Air-Cooled Heat Sinks for Sustainable Development," IEEE CPT Transactions, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp 16-25.
- Narasimhan, S., Bar-Cohen, A., Nair, R., 2003, "Thermal Compact Modeling of Parallel Plate Heat Sinks," Vol. 26, Number 1, IEEE CPT Transactions, pp 136-146.
- Narsimhan, S., Bar-Cohen, A., Nair, R., 2003, "Flow and Pressure Field Characteristics in the Porous Block Compact Modeling of Parallel Plate Heat Sinks," IEEE CPT Transactions, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp 147-157.
- Bar-Cohen, A. , Iyengar, M, and Kraus, A.D., 2003, "Design of Optimum Plate Fin Natural Convection Heat Sinks," ASME Transactions - Journal of Electronic Packaging, Vol. 125, No. 2, pp 208-216.
- Cardozo, R., Durfee, W., Ardichvili, A., Adams, C., Erdman, A., Hoey, M., Iaizzo, P., Mallick, D., Bar-Cohen, A., Beachy, R., Johnson, A., 2002, "Experiential Education In New Product Design and Business Development," accepted for publication, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 19, pp 4-17.
- Yazawa, K., Solbrekken, G., and Bar-Cohen, A., 2002, "Modeling and Analysis of Heat Driven Forced Convection Cooling," Thermal Science & Engineering Vol. 10, No. 5, pp 29-36, Heat Transfer Society of Japan.
- Bar-Cohen, A. and Iyengar, M., 2002, "Design and Optimization of Air-cooled Heat Sinks for Sustainable Development," IEEE CPT Transactions, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp 584-591.
- Bar-Cohen, A., Celata, G.P., Klausner, J., Fujita, Y., Editors, 2000, "Boiling 2000: Phenomena and Emerging Applications," Vol. 1 & 2, (Proceedings UEF Conference, Anchorage, Alaska, May 2000), Begell House, NY, 2000.
- Momoki, S., A. Bar-Cohen, and A.E. Bergles, 2000, "Estimation of Major Correlations for Frictional Pressure Drop in Gas-Liquid Two-Phase Flow in Horizontal Pipes Using Predicted Flow Regime Information," Multiphase Science and Technology, Vol. 12, Nos. 3&4, pp 161-175.
- Bar-Cohen, A. and Kraus, A.D., Editors, 1999, Wiley Series in Thermal Management of Microelectronic and Electronic Systems: Incropera, F.P., "Liquid Cooling of Electronic Devices by Single-Phase Convection," John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York.
- Afgan, N., da Graca Carvalho, M., Bar-Cohen, A., Butterworth, D., and Roetzel, W., (editors), 1996, "New Developments in Heat Exchangers," Gordon and Breach Publishers, Australia.
- Kraus, A. D. and Bar-Cohen, A. 1995, Design and Analysis of Heat Sinks, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, (2nd printing 1997).