Maryland Applied Graduate Engineering
Center for Risk and Reliability
The Hybrid-System Integration and Simulation
- Ph.D. (Industrial Engineering), The Pennsylvania State University, 2012
- M.S. (Industrial and Systems Engineering), The University of Southern California, 2006
- B.S. (Biomedical Engineering), The University of Southern California, 2004
Dr. Vaughn-Cooke’s interdisciplinary research synthesizes cognitive psychology, systems engineering, and risk assessment. Her research aims to identify the behavioral mechanisms associated with system risk propagation to inform the design of user-centered products and systems. This involves: 1) Behavioral modeling of human error in hybrid systems (human-hardware-software); 2) Empirical data collection of human response (neurophysiological and subjective feedback) in 2D and 3D simulation environments and physical device prototypes; and 3) Descriptive and predictive modeling to identify and mitigate design-related sources of human error. Dr. Vaughn-Cooke’s research has been primarily applied to safety-critical technology applications in healthcare, such as patient self-management devices and hospital monitoring systems. Other recent applications include nuclear power plant and Unmanned Aerial System control rooms.
Human reliability Assessment, Human factors, Empirical Human Performance Modeling, Experimental Design, Healthcare system and medical device design, Design decision making, Psychometric tool development, Bio-behavioral risk assessment.
ENRE 645/ ENSE 698G / ENME 489: Human Reliability Analysis
Methods of solving practical human reliability problems, cognitive and behavioral modeling, task analysis, performance shaping factors, error classification, distribution of human performance and uncertainty bounds, sources of human error probability data, human error risk mitigation, examples and case studies.
ENME 472: Integrated Product and Process Development
Integration of product development with the development process. design strategies. Product architecture. Design for manufacturing. Selection of materials. Design for assembly.
- Joyner, J. S., Vaughn-Cooke, M., & Benz, H. L. (2021). Comparison of Dexterous Task Performance in Virtual Reality and Real-World Environments. Frontiers in Virtual Reality, 2, 21.
- Knisely, B. M., Joyner, J. S., & Vaughn-Cooke, M. (2021). Cognitive task analysis and workload classification. MethodsX, 8, 101235.
- Knisely, B. M., Levine, C., Kharod, K. C., & Vaughn-Cooke, M. (2020). An Analysis of FDA Adverse Event Reporting Data for Trends in Medical Device Use Error, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Human Factors and Ergonomics in Health Care, 9(1), 130–134.
- McLaughlin, A. C., DeLucia, P. R., Drews, F. A., Vaughn-Cooke, M., Kumar, A., Nesbitt, R. R., & Cluff, K. (2020). Evaluating Medical Devices Remotely: Current Methods and Potential Innovations. Human Factors, 62(7), 1041–1060.
- Knisely, B. M., & Vaughn-Cooke, M. (2020a). Virtual Modeling of User Populations and Formative Design Parameters. Systems, 8(4), 35.
- Knisely, B. M., & Vaughn-Cooke, M. (2020b). A Comprehensive Survey of Preference for Personal Health Record Features in Patients with Diabetes, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Human Factors and Ergonomics in Health Care, 9(1), 171–175.
- Knisely, B. M., Joyner, J. S., Rutkowski, A. M., Wong, M., Barksdale, S., Hotham, H., Kharod, K., & Vaughn-Cooke, M. (2020). A cognitive decomposition to empirically study human performance in control room environments. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 141, 102438.
- Cage, K., Vaughn-Cooke, M., & Fuge, M. (2020). Design and Validation of a Method to Characterize Human Interaction Variability. Systems, 8(3), 32.
- Doerfler, R. M., Diamantidis, C. J., Wagner, L.-A., Scism, B. M., Vaughn-Cooke, M., Fink, W. J., Blakeman, T., & Fink, J. C. (2019). Usability Testing of a Sick-Day Protocol in CKD. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 14(4), 583–585.
- Cage, K., Vaughn-Cooke, M., Fuge, M., Lucero, B., Spernjak, D., & Bernardin, J. (2018). Thermal Design and Testing of a Passive Helmet Heat Exchanger With Additively Manufactured Components. ASME 2018 13th International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference.
- Strater, L., Frederick, C. M., Vaughn-Cooke, M., Bliss, J., & Shah, S. (2016). Me and My VE, Part 4. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 60th Annual Meeting, 60(1), 2088–2092.
- Kim, B., Schwartz, W., Catacora, D., & Vaughn-Cooke, M. (2016). Virtual reality behavioral therapy. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 60th Annual Meeting, 60(1), 356–360.
- Vaughn-Cooke, M., Nembhard, H. B., Ulbrecht, J., & Gabbay, R. (2015). Informing patient self-management technology design using a patient adherence error classification. Engineering Management Journal, 27(3), 124–130.
- Santos, L., Olumese, O., & Vaughn-Cooke, M. (2014). Glucometer Design for Patients with Vision and Mobility Impairments, Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 58th Annual Meeting, 58(1), 669–673.
- Kohani, M., Berman, J., Catacora, D., Kim, B., & Vaughn-Cooke, M. (2014). Evaluating Operator Performance for Patient Telemetry Monitoring Stations Using Virtual Reality. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 58th Annual Meeting. 58(1), 2388–2392.
- Cage, K., Santos, L., Scott, C., & Vaughn-Cooke, M. (2014). Personal Health Record Design Preferences for Minority Diabetic Patients. 58(1), 614–618.
- Montague, E.W., Valdez, R., Vaughn-Cooke, M., Perchonok, J. (2013). Considering Culture in the Design and Evaluation of Health IT for Patients. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 57th Annual Meeting.
- Vaughn-Cooke, M., & Kremer, G. O. (2011). Empirical Pilot Study Variable Selection Using Value Tree Analysis. 2011 Industrial Engineering Research Conference Proceedings.
- Vaughn-Cooke, M., Nembhard, H. B., & Ulbrecht, J. (2010). Reformulating human reliability in healthcare systems. 2010 Industrial Engineering Research Conference Proceedings.
- Vaughn-Cooke, M. (2009). Development of an Integrated Model for Predicting Patient Compliance. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 53rd Annual Meeting.
- Rahimi, M., & Vaughn-Cooke, M. (2007). Information architecture for an Alzheimer’s communication monitoring system (ACMS). Gerontechnology, 6(1), 42-55.