- Ph.D. (Industrial Engineering), The Pennsylvania State University, 2012
- M.S. (Industrial and Systems Engineering), The University of Southern California, 2006
- B.S. (Biomedical Engineering), The University of Southern California, 2004
Dr. Vaughn-Cooke’s interdisciplinary research synthesizes cognitive psychology, systems engineering, and risk assessment. Her research aims to identify the behavioral mechanisms associated with system risk propagation to inform the design of user-centered products and systems. This involves: 1) Behavioral modeling of human error in hybrid systems (human-hardware-software); 2) Empirical data collection of human response (neurophysiological and subjective feedback) in 2D and 3D simulation environments and physical device prototypes; and 3) Descriptive and predictive modeling to identify and mitigate design-related sources of human error. Dr. Vaughn-Cooke’s research has been primarily applied to safety-critical technology applications in healthcare, such as patient self-management devices and hospital monitoring systems. Other recent applications include nuclear power plant and Unmanned Aerial System control rooms.
Human reliability Assessment, Human factors, Empirical Human Performance Modeling, Experimental Design, Healthcare system and medical device design, Design decision making, Psychometric tool development, Bio-behavioral risk assessment.
ENRE 645/ ENSE 698G / ENME 489: Human Reliability Analysis
Methods of solving practical human reliability problems, cognitive and behavioral modeling, task analysis, performance shaping factors, error classification, distribution of human performance and uncertainty bounds, sources of human error probability data, human error risk mitigation, examples and case studies.
ENME 472: Integrated Product and Process Development
Integration of product development with the development process. design strategies. Product architecture. Design for manufacturing. Selection of materials. Design for assembly.
- A structured method to achieve cognitive depth for medical device use error topic modeling, CS Levine, BM Knisely, D Johnson, M Vaughn-Cooke, (2022). Human Factors in Healthcare, 2, 100016
- Can You Do That Again? Time Series Consolidation as a Robust Method of Tailoring Gesture Recognition to Individual Users, LJ Dankovich IV, M Vaughn-Cooke, S Bergbreiter, (2022). Sensors, 22, 7512
- Utilizing Deep Learning for Detecting Adverse Drug Events in Structured and Unstructured Regulatory Drug Data Sets, BM Knisely, Q Hatim, M Vaughn-Cooke, (2022). Pharmaceutical Medicine, 36, 307-317
- Multidisciplinary Projects for Human Factors Courses, A McLaughlin, M Vaughn-Cooke, P DeLucia, (2022). Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting, 66, 455-459
- Development of Low-Fidelity Virtual Replicas of Products for Usability Testing, JS Joyner, A Kong, J Angelo, W He, M Vaughn-Cooke, (2022). Applied Sciences, 12, 6937
- Accessibility Versus Feasibility: Optimizing Function Allocation for Accommodation of Heterogeneous Populations, BM Knisely, M Vaughn-Cooke, (2022). Journal of Mechanical Design 144, 031405
- Quantifying human performance for heterogeneous user populations using a structured expert elicitation, BM Knisely, C Levine, M Vaughn-Cooke, LA Wagner, JC Fink, (2021). Safety Science 143, 105435
- Multi-Component Design of a Mobile Rehabilitation Application for Remote Monitoring of Patients, S Bernard, N Daristotle, Y Demises, J Hearn, K Malkastian, M Moorhead, I Murph, P Oweida, N Taefi, M Vaughn-Cooke, A McLaughlin, K Kontson, (2021). Proceedings of the 2021 International Symposium on Human Factors and Ergonomics in Health Care
- Comparison of Dexterous Task Performance in Virtual Reality and Real-World Environments, JS Joyner, M Vaughn-Cooke, HL Benz, (2021). Frontiers in Virtual Reality 2, 21
- Cognitive task analysis and workload classification, BM Knisely, JS Joyner, M Vaughn-Cooke, (2021). MethodsX 8, 101235
- A cognitive decomposition to empirically study human performance in control room environments, BM Knisely, JS Joyner, AM Rutkowski, M Wong, S Barksdale, H Hotham, K Kharod, M Vaughn-Cooke, (2020). International Journal of Human-Computer Studies 141, 102438
- Virtual Modeling of User Populations and Formative Design Parameters, BM Knisely, M Vaughn-Cooke, (2020) Systems 8 (4), 35
- Evaluating Medical Devices Remotely: Current Methods and Potential Innovations, AC McLaughlin, PR DeLucia, FA Drews, M Vaughn-Cooke, A Kumar, R Nesbitt, K Cluff, (2020) Human Factors 62 (7), 1041-1060
- Design and Validation of a Method to Characterize Human Interaction Variability, K Cage, M Vaughn-Cooke, M Fuge, (2020). Systems 8 (3), 32
- A Comprehensive Survey of Preference for Personal Health Record Features in Patients with Diabetes, BM Knisely, M Vaughn-Cooke, (2020). Proceedings of the International Symposium on Human Factors and Ergonomics in Health Care, 9 (1), 171-175
- An Analysis of FDA Adverse Event Reporting Data for Trends in Medical Device Use Error, BM Knisely, C Levine, KC Kharod, M Vaughn-Cooke, (2020). Proceedings of the International Symposium on Human Factors and Ergonomics in Health Care, 9 (1), 130-134
- Usability Testing of a Sick-Day Protocol in CKD RM Doerfler, CJ Diamantidis, LA Rebecca M Doerfler, Clarissa J Diamantidis, Lee-Ann Wagner, Beth M Scism, Monifa Vaughn-Cooke, Wanda J Fink, Thomas Blakeman, Jeffrey C Fink, (2019). Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 14 (4), 583-585
- Thermal Design and Testing of a Passive Helmet Heat Exchanger With Additively Manufactured Components, K Cage, M Vaughn-Cooke, M Fuge, B Lucero, D Spernjak, J Bernardin, (2018). ASME 2018 13th International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference
- Me and My VE, Part 4L Strater, CM Frederick, M Vaughn-Cooke, J Bliss, S Shah, (2016). Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting 60 (1), 2088-2092
- Virtual reality behavioral therapy, B Kim, W Schwartz, D Catacora, M Vaughn-Cooke, (2016). Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting 60 (1), 356-360
- Informing patient self-management technology design using a patient adherence error classification, M Vaughn-Cooke, HB Nembhard, J Ulbrecht, R Gabbay, (2015). Engineering Management Journal 27 (3), 124-130
- Evaluating Operator Performance for Patient Telemetry Monitoring Stations Using Virtual Reality, M Kohani, J Berman, D Catacora, B Kim, M Vaughn-Cooke, (2014). Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting 58 (1), 2388-2392
- Personal Health Record Design Preferences for Minority Diabetic Patients, K Cage, L Santos, C Scott, M Vaughn-Cooke, (2014). Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting 58 (1), 614-618
- Glucometer Design for Patients with Vision and Mobility Impairments, L Santos, O Olumese, M Vaughn-Cooke, (2014). Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting 58 (1), 669-673
- Considering Culture In The Design And Evaluation Of Health IT For Patients, JP Enid Montague, W Winchester, R Valdez, M Vaughn-Cooke, (2013). Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 57th Annual Meeeting .