While minors are not offered in every field of study, the A. James Clark School of Engineering offers the following approved minors:

Some Mechanical Engineering students also enroll in minors outside of the A. James Clark School of Engineering. Some common choices include the following:

The Univeristy of Maryland offers a variety of minors students are able to explore in addition to the options listed above. A full listing of minors can be found in the University of Maryland's Undergraduate Catalog.


Minors afford students the opportunity to pursue a limited but structured concentration in a coherent field of study outside their major.

The minor may be a truncated version of a major or a distinctive intellectual subset of a discipline. The structures of minors vary in detail, but, with rare exceptions, they all require no fewer than 15 and no more than 24 credits with at least 9 credits in upper division courses (300 level or above). No more than six credits (or two courses) may be applied to satisfy both the requirements of a minor and a major program. No course may be used to satisfy the requirements of more than one minor. All courses taken for a minor must be completed with a minimum grade of C- or better.

When a student has completed all requirements for the minor, the unit offering the minor shall notify the student's college, which verifies that the student has met all requirements and officially notifies the Registrar's Office. The completion of a minor is posted on the student's official transcript only when the student completes all requirements for the bachelor's degree.

Adding Minors

To ensure appropriate academic advising, students who wish to pursue a minor should inform both the college responsible for their major and the unit offering the minor as early as possible, but in no case later than one full academic year before the expected date of graduation. Adding a minor late will be the decision of the advisor for the minor. However if the minor is to be added in the semester of pending graduation the student must submit an exception to policy form to the college for approval.

Deleting Minors

If an engineering student no longer wishes to pursue a minor they should contact the unit offering the minor to have it removed.