- System and product design theory and methodology
- Developing designer assistance tools for system and product design
- Engineering student team training
- Preservation of proprietary design knowledge
- conceptual design processes
- Ph.D., Carnegie Mellon University, 1995
Honors and Awards
- Merryfield Design Award, American Society for Engineering Education, 2008
Professional Memberships and Service
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Li, X., L. Schmidt, W. He, L. Li, and Y. Qian, “Transformation of an EGT Grammar: New Grammar, New Designs,” CD-ROM Proceedings of DETC’01 2001 ASME Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, DETC2001/DTM-21716, September 9-12, Pittsburgh, PA, 2001.
- Schmidt, L.C., H. Shetty, and S. Chase, “A Graph Grammar Approach to Mechanism Synthesis,” Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 122, pp. 371-376, 2000.
- Chen, W., K. Lewis, and L.C. Schmidt, “The Open Workshop on Decision-Based Design: Origin, Status, Promise, and Future,” Engineering Valuation and Cost Analysis, Vol. 3, pp. 57-66, 2000.
- Schmidt, L.C., and J. Cagan, “Optimal Configuration Design: An Integrated Approach Using Grammars,” Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 120, No. 1, pp. 2-9, 1998.
- Schmidt, L.C., and J. Cagan, “GGREADA: A Graph Grammar-Based Machine Design Algorithm,” Research in Engineering Design, Vol. 9, pp. 195-213, 1997.