Position Announcement | October 2023

Faculty Position
Assistant Professor Positions

The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park, invites qualified candidates to apply for tenure-track faculty positions at the assistant professor level, with a target start date of August 2024 or later.

Priority will be given to candidates with expertise in Computational Science and Engineering. All application areas are of interest, with particular attention to areas including industrial/healthcare AI, smart design/manufacturing, product and process risk and reliability, energy conversion and storage, materials innovation, and environmental and infrastructure sustainability.

Qualifications: Candidates should have received or expect to receive their Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline prior to employment. Candidates should have a high potential for significant scholarship and impact through both research and teaching, including through multi-disciplinary research collaboration.

Additional Information: Consideration of applications will begin November 15, 2023, and will continue until the positions have been filled. Candidates from groups underrepresented in mechanical engineering research and education are strongly encouraged to apply. Please apply by uploading the following documents through the UMD employment website at http://ejobs.umd.edu, position number 125399:

  1. Cover Letter
  2. Curriculum Vitae
  3. Research Statement
  4. Teaching Statement
  5. References (names of four)

Inquiries may be sent to: mefacultyaffairs@umd.edu.

The Department of Mechanical Engineering (www.enme.umd.edu) hosts vibrant education and research programs and is currently ranked in the top twenty of all mechanical engineering graduate and undergraduate programs within the United States. Department faculty members are encouraged to establish multi-disciplinary collaborations with colleagues and leverage a broad spectrum of shared research facilities. The University of Maryland has strong research ties with many government agencies, institutes, research laboratories, and other organizations located in the greater D.C. area.

The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.

Please visit the University Human Resources website for the most up-to-date staff listings, as well as additional opportunities throughout the University.

Engineering Career Services

The Engineering Career Services Office helps students find co-op, internship, and summer engineering positions. Students participating in these programs gain professional work experience, earn a competitive salary, make invaluable networking contacts, integrate classroom theory into practice, and confirm their career choices. In conjunction with the campus Career Center, we also assist students in finding post-graduate positions. Our services for students include: on-line job listings and interviews, employer presentations, walk-in career advising, resume critiques, mock interviews, career development workshops, an electronic newsletter, and career fairs.

Engineering Career Services Office
1137 Glenn L. Martin Hall
College Park, MD 20742
Email: co-op@eng.umd.edu
Phone: 301-405-3863
FAX:     301-314-9867
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm

Students looking for research opportunities within the department should contact either the ME undergraduate or graduate office.