- Ph.D., University of California (Berkeley), 1977
- M.S., University of California (Berkeley), 1973
- B.E.(M.E.), City College of CUNY, 1972
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Fellow, American Physical Society
- Associate Fellow, AIAA
- Journal reviewer, The Physics of Fluids, AIAA Journal, ASME Journal Fluids Engineering, Journal of Computational Physics, Journal of Fluid Mechanics
- Proposal reviewer, National Science Foundation
- Organizer, Symposium on Vortex Methods and Vortex Flows, ASME Fluids Engineering Division Summer Meeting
Simulation of turbulent flows Vortex methods turbulence structure and theory
SELECTED REFEREED PUBLICATIONS
- Bernard, P. S. (2019) "On the Inherent Bias of Swirling Strength in Defining Vortical Structure," Physics of Fluids, 035107 (DOI: 10.1063/1.5089883).
- Bernard, P.S. (2019) Turbulent Fluid Flow, John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, N.J.
- Bernard, P. S. and Erinin, M. (2018) "Fluid Particle Dynamics and the Non-Local Origin of the Reynolds Shear Stress," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 847, pp. 520-551.
- Collins, J.P. and Bernard, P. S. (2018) "A Gridfree Scheme for Simulation of Natural Convection in Three Dimensions," Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 369, pp. 209 - 224.
- Bernard, P. S. (2015) Fluid Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, New York, N.Y..
- Bernard, P. S. (2015) "Boundary Layer Vorticity and the Rise of Hairpins," Progress in Wall Turbulence 2: Understanding and Modelling, Lille, France, Vol. 23 ERCOFTAC Series. Ed. M. Stanislas, J. Jimenez, I. Marusic, pp.159-170 (doi 1007/978-3-319-20388-1).
- Bernard, P. S. (2013) "Vortex Dynamics in Transitional and Turbulent Boundary Layers," AIAA Journal, Vol. 51, No. 8, pp. 1828-1842, (DOI:10.2514/1.J051811).
- Bernard, P. S. (2011) "The Hairpin Vortex Illusion," Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 318, 060024. (DOI:10.1088/1742-6596/318/6/062004).
- Bernard, P. S., Collins, P. and Potts, M. (2010) "Vortex Filament Simulation of the Turbulent Boundary Layer," AIAA Journal, Vol. 48, pp. 1757 - 1771.
- Bernard, P. S. (2009) "Vortex Filament Simulation of the Turbulent Coflowing Jet," Physics of Fluids, Vol. 21, 025107.
- Bernard, P. S. (2008) "Grid-Free Simulation of the Spatially Growing Turbulent Mixing Layer," AIAA Journal, Vol. 46, pp. 1725 - 1737.
- Bernard, P. S. (2006) "Turbulent Flow Properties of Large Scale Vortex Systems," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 103, pp. 10174 - 10179.