Maryland Energy Innovation Institute
Center for Risk and Reliability
Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania, 1971
Professor Aris Christou previously served as the Chair of the Department of Materials and Nuclear Engineering. He currently conducts research in compound semiconductor materials and process science, radiation effects in materials and devices, manufacturing science, and reliability. From 2000-2003, Dr. Christou was the Director of the NSF Center COEDIP, the Center of OptoElectronic Devices, Interconnects and Packaging. Prior to his appointments at the University of Maryland, he was a Professor of Electronic Materials at Rutgers University, and research scientist at the Naval Research Laboratory. He has authored two books and has been the editor of three others. Dr. Christou has more than 150 publications in archival journals and 14 patents (including two pending), and has organized international conferences in GaAs devices, materials and reliability. He is a Fellow of the IEEE, a Fullbright Fellow, a recipient of the DoD-Berman Publication Awards, and an IEEE Guest Lecturer. Professor Christou was the 2004 recipient of the INEER Achievement Award (International Network for Engineering Education and Research) for achievements in international education and research in engineering, as well as the recipient of the 2007 ASM International Burgess Memorial Award "For his seminal scientific contributions in the field of electronic materials, packaging and devices." Professor Christou is a member of APS, ASM, TMS and MRS, was the past President of the Federation of Materials Societies from 2004-2006, and is presently a member of the FMS Board of Trustees. Full Bio »
HONORS AND AWARDS
For a full list of honors and awards, please visit Professor Christou's web site
For a full list of membership and service activities, please visit Professor Christou's web site
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) (Fellow)
- American Physical Society (APS)
- Materials Research Society (MRS)
- The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS)
- Society of Photonic and Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE)
Member since 1993 of the University Materials Council
The UMC is the national council of materials department chairmen
- Member since 1993 of The Nuclear Engineering Department Heads Organization (NEDHO)
- Board of Trustees of Federation of Materials Societies, 2000-Present
- International Network of Engineering Education Research (iNEER)
- Member, American Society of Metals, International (ASM)
- ENES100 : Introduction to Engineering Design
- ENES 230: Introduction to Materials and Their Applications
- ENMA 300: Introduction to Engineering Materials (formerly ENES 230)
- ENMA 426/ENRE 447: Reliability of Materials
- ENMA 463: Macroprocessing of Materials in Electronic Packaging
- ENMA 626/ENRE600 : Reliability Engineering
- T.J. Anderson, K.D. Hobart, J.D. Greenlee, D.I. Shahin, A.D. Koehler, E.A. Imhoff, R.L. Myers-Ward, A. Christou, F.J. Kub, “UV and EUV Detectors Based on the Graphene/SiC Heterojunction”, Submitted to Electronic Letters, 2014.
- Gary Paradee, Tom Martin, Aris Christou, “Fatigue Properties of Graphene on Flexible Substrates”, IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability, December 2014
- Gary Paradee, Tom Martin and Aris Christou, “Fatigue Properties of Uniform and Patterned ITO on Flexible Substrates,” J. Microelectronics Reliability, Accepted 2014 and to be published 2015.
- Gary Paradee, Eric Bailey and A. Christou, “Stress relaxation behavior and low cycle fatigue behavior of bulk SAC 305,” J. Mater. Sci. Electron (2014) 25:4122-4128.
- Gary Paradee, Tom Martin, Aris Christou, “Fatigue Properties of Graphene on Flexible Substrates”, IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability, December 2014.
- A. Christou, “Process-Reliability Relationships in GaN and GaAs Field Effect Transistors and HFETs”, Compound Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology, Digest_2013, pp 391-394.
- Kaushik Chatterjee, Mohammad Modarres and Joseph B. Bernstein. "Fifty Years of Physics of Failure" (PDF), Journal of the Reliability Informaiton Analysis Center, January 2012.
- M. Sawant, and A. Christou. "Failure modes and effects criticality analysis and accelerated life testing of LEDs for medical applications." Solid-State Electronics, (2012) 78, 39–45.
- Martin Peckerar, Thomas Martin, and Aris Christou. http://christou.umd.edu/publications/conferences.html"Nanoparticle Technology for Power Integration With Flexible Substrates."
- Christou, A., & Fantini, F. "Introduction to the special issue on GaN and related nitride compound device reliability." IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability, (2008) 8(2), 239-239.
- Christou, A. "Monte Carlo Reliability Model for Microwave Monolithic Integrated Circuits." Quality and Reliability Engineering International, (2008) 24(3), 315-329.
- S. Yang, A. Christou, “Failure Model for Silver Electromigration,” IEEE Trans Materials, Device Reliability, Vol2, Feb 2007.
- S. Yang, J.Wu, A. Christou, “Initial Stages of Silver Electrochemical Migration Degradation,” Microelectronics Reliability vol.46 (2006) 1915-1921.
- C.C. Zhang, Aris Christou, “Reliability of Leadless Interconnects in GaAs ASICS”, J. of RIAC, 2006, No.2, 20-26.
- Ahangir Alam, Andrei E. Botchkarev, James A. Griffin, John M. Zavada, Aristos Christou and S. Noor Mohammad, “Optical properties of MBE-grown GaAs1-xNx alloys”, Phil Mag, 1121-1134, 2006.
- S. J. Chang, C. F. Shen, S. C. Shei, C. S. Chang, W. S. Chen, T. K. Ko, J.K.Shei and Y. S. Sun, "Highly Reliable Nitride-Based LEDs with Internal ESD Protection Diodes" (PDF), IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability, November 2005.
- L.Mohaddes-Ardahilli, L. Martinez-Miranda, L. Salamanca-Riba, A. Christou, William Bentley and M. Al- Sheikhley, “Preferred Orientation of DNA Olionucleotide probes on the (2x4) Reconstructed Surface of (001) GaAs,” J Appl. Physics Vol 95, No. 11, Part 1 (6021-6024), June 2004.
- Mohamad Al-Sheikhley, D. Sweet, Lourdes Salamanca-Riba, B. Varughese, J. Silverman, Aris Christou and William Bentley, “Radiation-Induced Failure Mechanisms of GaAs–Based Biochips,” IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability, vol. 4, No. 2 (192-197), June 2004.
- C. Zhang, P. Yalamanchili, M. Al-Sheikhley and A. Christou, Metal Migration in Epoxy Encapsulated ECL Devices, 2004 ESREF, Oct. 2004.
- L.Mohaddes-Ardahilli, L. Martinez-Miranda, J. Silverman, A. Christou, L. Salamanca- Riba and M. Al- Sheikhley, “Attachment of DNA Probes on GaAs Surfaces”, Appl. Physics Lettrs, 83, No. 1, pp. 192-194 (2003).
- N. Strifas, P. Yalamanchili, A. Christou, “Reliability Model for Polyimide-Metal Interconnect Shorts,” Qual and Reliability Int. 20:1-13 (2004).
- M. Linnik and A. Christou, “Calculations of optical properties for Quartenary III-V semiconductor alloys in the transparent region and above” (PDF), Physica B, 318, pp 140-161 (2002). Abstract »
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
American Physical Society (APS)