Semesters OfferedFall 2017, Spring 2018, Fall 2018, Spring 2019, Fall 2019, Spring 2020, Fall 2020, Spring 2021, Fall 2021, Spring 2022, Fall 2022, Spring 2023, Fall 2023, Spring 2024
This is a team focused project class with various individual and group assignments oriented toward designing, building and testing a small open-wheeled racecar (Formula SAE vehicle). In this course the students will develop and/or refine the following areas of knowledge:
- Employ modern techniques such as computer-aided design and analysis software required for engineering design.
- Demonstrate an understanding of project management.
- Identify and formulate engineering problems which involve the applications of mechanical systems, thermal fluid systems and materials selection for such systems.
- Work in and lead teams in the solution of engineering problems.
- Communicate effectively through written and oral reports.
- Automotive design practices and principles
- Tire performance
- Vehicle dynamics and suspension design
- Chassis design and finite element analysis
- Powertrain fundamentals
- Aerodynamic effects
- Stress and dynamic analysis
- Electronics and Control systems analysis
- Composite material processing
- Basic machining and welding practices
- Project management
- Systems engineering
Additional Course Information
- Two 75 minute lectures each week.