Semesters OfferedFall 2017, Spring 2018, Fall 2018, Spring 2019, Fall 2019, Spring 2020, Fall 2020, Spring 2021, Fall 2021, Spring 2022
This is a team focused project class with various individual and group assignments oriented toward designing, building and testing a small open-wheeled racecar (Formula SAE vehicle). In this course the students will develop and/or refine the following areas of knowledge:
- Employ modern techniques such as computer-aided design and analysis software required for engineering design.
- Demonstrate an understanding of project management.
- Identify and formulate engineering problems which involve the applications of mechanical systems, thermal fluid systems and materials selection for such systems.
- Work in and lead teams in the solution of engineering problems.
- Communicate effectively through written and oral reports.
- Automotive design practices and principles
- Tire performance
- Vehicle dynamics and suspension design
- Chassis design and finite element analysis
- Powertrain fundamentals
- Aerodynamic effects
- Stress and dynamic analysis
- Electronics and Control systems analysis
- Composite material processing
- Basic machining and welding practices
- Project management
- Systems engineering
Additional Course Information
- Two 75 minute lectures each week.