This course intends to provide in-depth understanding of Lean Six Sigma and its Define - Mearsure - Analyze - Improve - Control (DMAIC) Breakthrough Improvement Strategy. The emphasis is placed on the DMAIC process which is reinforced via application of semester long corporate projects and case study analysis.
Corequisite: ENME392; or students who have taken courses with comparable content may contact the department.
Restriction: Permission of ENGR-Mechanical Engineering department.
Semesters OfferedSpring 2018, Fall 2018, Spring 2019, Spring 2020
- Week 1: Intro to Lean Six Sigma Course; Ice Breakers. Intro to DMAIC and Lean Overview of Projects Placement Survey, Intro to DMAIC and Lean. Intro to Professionalism.
- Week 2: Intro to Define Phase. TQM Lecture by Teaching Fellows Basic Professionalism.
- Week 3: Intro to Lean Principles by Jeffrey Herrmann, Teams formed, Intro to Define Report, Measure Phase Into
- Week 4: Measure Phase – Process Maps, Root Cause. 5 Whys. Cause and Effect.QFD. (with Project), Measure Phase start- data and data analysis.
- Week 5: Lean Tools, Lean Scenarios.
- Week 6: FMEA and Process Capabilities, Discuss Measure Report, Team Time.
- Week 7: Measurement systems, R&R, Measure Phase Summary, Introduction to Analyze
- Week 8: Lean Qualification. Regression. Hypothesis Testing. Chi Squared. ANOVA
- Week 9: Analyze tools – con’t, Intro to Improve Phase. Change Management, Measure Report Due
- Week 10: Measure Phase Presentations, Improve Phase Intro, Debrief Mtg with TF
- Week 11: Improve Phase – Change Management, Improve Phase – Trade offs
- Week 12: Design of Experiment, Control Intro, Visual Displays
- Week 13: SPC, DMAIC REVIEW
- Week 14: In-class presentations. Assign Final Exam.
- Week 15 In-class presentations, Final Report.
- Week 16: Final Exam Due.
Additional Course Information
- The Six Sigma Handbook, Revised and Expanded : The Complete Guide for Greenbelts, Blackbelts, and Managers at All Levels by Thomas Pyzdek ISBN: 0071410155
- The Black Belt Memory Jogger (2002). Six Sigma Academy. ISBN: 1-57681-043-7.
- The Lean Six Sigma Pocket Toolbook: A Quick Reference Guide to 100 Tools for Improving Quality and Speed by Michael L. George, John Maxey, David Rowlands and Mark Price (Aug 1, 2004)
- Lean Sigma, I. Wedgwood, isbn 0-13-239078-7
- Two 75 minute lectures each week
Last Updated By
David Bigio, June 2017