2017 Honors & Awards Ceremony
On April 19, 2017, the annual A. James Clark School of Engineering's Honors and Awards Ceremony was held to recognize undergraduate students for excellence in academics, leadership, and service. Faculty and staff came together to acknowledge 69 engineering students for their contributions and accomplishments. The students were joined in this celebration, which took place in the Colony Ballroom of the Stamp Student Union, by their invited family and friends.
Clark School Dean Darryll Pines remarked to those gathered that these students had performed at the highest level. "You may not be aware of all of the lives you have touched in doing so. You have contributed to the Clark School, to your community, and to our nation through your academic scholarship, service and leadership," Pines said. "You have gone beyond the classroom and the research lab, learning how to work together in teams to achieve results. You have demonstrated the power of each engineer's potential to improve the world. Tonight, we recognize and applaud your accomplishments."
Students were honored with an award from their academic department or an engineering student service's program. Five students were recognized for their contributions to the Clark School:
- Haroula Tzamaras (mechanical engineering): A. James Clark School of Engineering Leadership Award, presented to a Clark School student who demonstrates outstanding leadership.
- Jaime Berez (mechanical engineering): Kim Borsavage and Pamela J. Stone Student Award for Outstanding Service, presented for outstanding service and dedication to the Clark School.
- Helen Lan (materials science and engineering): A. James Clark School of Engineering International Student Award, which honors a student who provides leadership and service through international engineering activities.
- Adam Berger (bioengineering): A. James Clark School of Engineering Dean's Award, presented for excellence in academics, leadership, and service to the college.
- Allen Luk (bioengineering): Dinah Berman Memorial Award, presented to a third-year engineering student with a 4.0 grade point average who has combined academic excellence with demonstrated leadership or service to the Clark School.
New this year was the Student Advising Award for Professional Staff in the Clark School of Engineering. This award is sponsored by Associate Dean William Fourney and past Dean George Dieter, and recognizes staff excellence in undergraduate or graduate student advising. For the 2016–17 academic year, this was awarded to Mr. Alan P. Santos of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
Published May 5, 2017