Magrab, Dr. Edward B.
- Ph.D. (Solid Mechanics), Catholic University of America, Washington DC, 1966
- M.A.E., New York University, New York, NY, 1961
- B.M.E., City College of New York, NY, 1960
- Professional Engineer (State of Maryland)
Prior to joining the University of Maryland in 1987, Dr. Magrab held supervisory positions in the Center for Manufacturing Engineering at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), which included head of the Robot Metrology Group, Manager of the vertical machining work station in the Automated Manufacturing Research Facility, and Chief of the Sound Section. He went to NIST after being a professor for almost a decade in the Department of Mechanics at the Catholic University of America in Washington DC. At the University of Maryland, he had numerous industrial-sponsored contracts involving many aspects of product development. His redesign of a commercial pneumatic vacuum cleaner with improved performance and ease of manufacture was a commercial success. It also won the Award of Excellence from the Maryland Industrial Partnership Program.
HONORS AND AWARDS
Life Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
Vibrations, acoustics, integrated product development
- E. B. Magrab, Vibrations of Elastic Systems: with Multiphysics Application, Solid Mechanics and Its Applications, Springer Science+Business Media B.V., New York (to be published early 2024)
- E. B. Magrab, Engineering Statistics: An Introduction, Springer Nature Switzerland AG, (October 2022).
- E. B. Magrab, Advanced Engineering Mathematics with Mathematica, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL (March 2020).
- B. Balachandran and E. B. Magrab, Vibrations, 3rd ed., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. (2019, 2009, 2003).
- E. B. Magrab, An Engineer’s Guide to Mathematica, John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, UK (May 2014).
- E. B. Magrab, Vibrations of Elastic Systems: with Application to MEMS and NEMS, Solid Mechanics and Its Applications 184, Springer Science+Business Media B.V., New York (February 2012).
- E. B. Magrab, S. Azarm, B. Balachandran, J. H. Duncan, K. E. Herold, G. C. Walsh, An Engineer's Guide to MATLAB, 3rd ed., Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, (2010, 2005, 2000]).