Mote Jr., C.D. (Dan)
Former President of University of Maryland, College Park
Dr. Mote received the B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. in mechanical engineering from the University of California, Berkeley.
Prior to assuming the Presidency at Maryland, Dr. Mote served on the University of California, Berkeley faculty for 31 years. From 1991 to 1998, he was Vice Chancellor at Berkeley, held an endowed chair in Mechanical Systems and was President of the UC Berkeley Foundation. He led a comprehensive capital campaign for Berkeley that raised $1.4B. He earlier served as chair of Berkeley's Department of Mechanical Engineering and led the department to its number one ranking in the National Research Council review of graduate program effectiveness.
HONORS AND AWARDS
President Mote has received numerous awards and honors, including the Humboldt Prize awarded by the Federal Republic of Germany. He is a recipient of the Berkeley Citation, an award from the University of California-Berkeley similar to the honorary doctorate, and was named Distinguished Engineering Alumnus. He has received two honorary doctorates. Additional awards include:
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Medal (2011)
- Founders Award, National Academy of Engineering, in recognition of a comprehensive body of work on the dynamics of moving flexible structures and for leadership in academia (2005)
- J. P. Den Hartog Award, ASME International Technical Committee on Vibration and Sound, in honor of lifetime contribution to teaching and/or practice of vibration engineering (2005)
- Elected to American Academy of Arts and Sciences (2004)
- Honorary doctorates from Tashkent State Technical University (2001), The Ohio State University (2001) and Carnegie Mellon University (2004)
- The Berkeley Citation (1998), Distinguished Engineering Alumnus (2001) and Excellence in Achievement (2007), University of California
- Elected to U.S. National Academy of Engineering (1988)
- Named one of the 50 most "Influential Marylanders" by The Daily Record (2007)
- Washingtonian Magazine's Washingtonian of the Year (2005)
- Named one of the 20 most influential Business Leaders in Washington, DC by Business Forward Magazine (2001 and 2002)
- Champion of Diversity Award, University of Maryland President's Commission on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Issues (2009)
He is a member of the U.S. National Academy of Engineering and serves on its Council, and is a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He was elected to Honorary Membership in the ASME International, its most distinguished recognition, and is a Fellow of the International Academy of Wood Science, the Acoustical Society of America, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- President, National Academy of Engineering (NAE) (2013-2019)
- Executive Committee, National Research Council (2009-2011)
- Chair, National Research Council Committee on Global Science and Technology Strategies and their Effects on U.S. National Security (2009-2010)
- Treasurer, National Academy of Engineering (2009-2013)
- Steering Committee, Council on Competitiveness: Energy Security, Innovation and Sustainability (2009-2011)
- Board of Directors and Audit Committee, National Academies Corporation (2010-present)
- International Council of Confucius Institute Headquarters, Beijing, China (2009-present)
- Economic Advisor, Government of Jiangsu Province, People's Republic of China (2005-2009)
- Trustee and Audit Committee, Universities Research Association (2008-present)
- National Academies Committee on Science, Engineering and Public Policy (COSEPUP) (2007-present)
- Co-Chair, National Academies Government University Industry Research Roundtable (GUIRR) (2007-present)
- Commission to Develop the Maryland Model for Funding Higher Education (2007-2009)
- National Academies Committee on Science, Security and Prosperity (COSSP) (2007-2008)
- National Academies Committee on Scientific Communication and National Security (CSCANS) (2005-2007)
- Founding Member, FBI National Security Higher Education Advisory Board (2004-present)
- Governing Board, National Research Council (2007-2008)
- National Research Council Committee on Prospering in the Global Economy of the 21st Century: An Agenda for American Science and Technology (2005)
- Vice Chair, National Research Council Committee on Department of Defense Basic Research (2004)
He has produced more than 300 publications, holds patents in the U.S., Norway, Finland and Sweden, and has mentored 56 Ph.D. students.
Maryland Engineers Awarded Grants to Address Humanity's Grand ChallengesTwelve projects led by or involving Maryland Engineering faculty have been awarded funding through the Grand Challenges Grants Program, the largest and most comprehensive program of its kind ever introduced at the University of Maryland.
UMD Dedicates IDEA FactoryBuilding designed to inspire innovation, entrepreneurship, and research across disciplines.
Sharma Elected to National Academy of EngineeringUniversity of Houston department chair, a UMD alum, is honored for establishing the study of flexoelectricity.
Nuclear Energy Pioneer José Reyes Inducted Into IHOFNuScale co-founder recognized for work in developing Small Modular Reactors (SMR).
Incentive Awards Program, Engineering Lab Building Named for MoteFormer UMD president recognized for contributions to field, expanding education access
Balachandran Honored with ASME’s Den Hartog, Lyapunov AwardsRecognitions are among the most prestigious in the field.
Georgia Tech Professor, Researcher Named Dean of Clark SchoolMechanical engineering leader Samuel Graham, Jr. to take helm October 1.
UMD, UMBC, ARL Announce Cooperative Agreement to Accelerate AI, Autonomy in Complex EnvironmentsThe agreement leverages Maryland's national leadership in engineering, robotics, computer science, operations research, modeling and simulation, and cybersecurity.
Maryland Graduate Engineering Ranked #10 Public in the NationFrom extreme batteries to windows made from wood, Clark School’s trendsetting work ranks it among the country’s Top 10 public engineering schools for the 3rd consecutive year.
Doyenne Reliability Engineering ProgramA fellowship for Mozambican women to pursue graduate education in Reliability Engineering at UMD
Legacy through Impact: Dr. Darryll J. PinesUMD President-Designate Darryll Pines inspires a culture of excellence at the Clark School, where everyone plays a part.
C. Dan Mote, Jr. to Receive 2020 Benjamin Franklin Medal in Mechanical EngineeringMote announced as one of the Franklin Institute Awards Class of 2020 recipients.
Nuclear Engineering Alumni Presents as Part of Mpact Lecture SeriesDr. José N. Reyes, Jr., P.E. (M.S. ‘84, Ph.D. ‘86) discusses the benefits of the NuScale small module reactor to provide clean and resilient energy to lift billions out of energy poverty.
Welcome, NAE MembersThe Clark School welcomes six National Academy Engineering members who will be returning to or joining our faculty this fall.
C.D. Mote, Jr. Delivers Roy V. Wright LectureDr. Mote recognized for his dedication and commitment to ASME.
C.D. Mote, Jr. Named a Fellow in the National Academy of InventorsColleagues noted his work as a researcher, inventor, educator, mentor and as a leader.
Gupta Named ASME Honorary MemberDistinguished University Professor Ashwani Gupta has been named a 2016 Honorary Member of ASME.
Mote Named Member of the Chinese Academy of EngineeringProfessor and Former UMD President C. D. Mote Jr. Named Member of CAE.
Gupta Receives ASEE 2015 Ralph Coats Roe AwardDistinguished University Professor Ashwani Gupta receives 2015 Ralph Coats Roe Award at ASEE annual conference.
Bergbreiter to attend NAE U.S. Frontiers of Engineering SymposiumMicrorobotics researcher one of 83 "outstanding young engineers" invited to prestigious event.
UMD's Mote Elected NAE PresidentFormer President and Clark School Professor Named President of National Academy of Engineering.
Mote Nominated to be Next NAE PresidentClark School professor, former UMD president would lead National Academy of Engineering beginning July 2013.
New Minta Martin Professors NamedHistoric honor recognizes full professors who have made significant scholarly contributions.
Mote, Augustine Lead National Academies Panel on Defense and STEMResulting report examines Pentagon's future STEM workforce needs.
Former President Mote Receives Highest ASME Honor, Delivers Keynote at ASME Vibration and Noise ConferenceUSM Regents Professor recognized for creating a comprehensive theory of the dynamics of flexible moving structures.
Energy Center Celebrates Grand OpeningTop federal and state energy advisors speak at event. Watch online.
Mote Named USM Regents ProfessorUniversity System of Maryland honors former UM president for scholarly achievement and service.
Producing New Innovations and InnovatorsFormer UM president, U.S. Senator to deliver fall Whiting-Turner lectures.
Wallace D. Loh Appointed President of University of MarylandCurrent University of Iowa Executive VP and Provost named new U-Md. President, effective November 1
Michael Pecht, UM Establish Relationship with the Chinese Research CommunityCALCE director establishes collaboration to create international research park near Shanghai.
UM, LM Launch Strategic RelationshipFramework for current and future cooperation with Lockheed Martin worth at least $3 million.
UM's Pres. Mote to RetireMote, also a Clark School professor, will continue his academic appointment after one-year hiatus.
Clark Named a "Washingtonian of the Year"Washingtonian Magazine honors Clark School alum, benefactor A. James Clark.
Mote Elected NAE TreasurerUM president, ME professor to serve four-year term with National Academy of Engineering.
Five Elevated to Full ProfessorClark School's Adomaitis, Ghodssi, Phaneuf, Sandborn and Takeuchi promoted.
Southern Maryland Partnership AnnouncedAcademic institutions, Navy announce engineering education and research program in Southern Maryland.
Hannam One of 65 Truman ScholarsME junior captures national leadership award for Engineers Without Borders work.
Energy Education and Research Collaboration Conducts First WorkshopMaryland faculty and Petroleum Institute review cooperation success of past year.
ME Grads Join University Faculty Across the NationDepartment congratulates ME alumni who recently joined the faculty of universities across the nation.
Bar-Cohen Unanimously Elected Honorary Member of ASMEDistinguished membership recognizes lifetime service to engineering.
Mechanical Engineering Recognizes Faculty AccomplishmentsEdward B. Magrab honored at reception recognizing distinguished service to campus and department.
Farvardin Named University of Maryland ProvostCurrent Clark School dean will assume new position on July 1.
Pecht Receives UM International Service AwardGeorge E. Dieter Professor of ME and CALCE Director Michael Pecht recieves 2006 Distinguished International Service Award.
Michael Pecht to Receive 2006 Distinguished International Service AwardCongratulations to Professor Pecht for this outstanding recognition for the University and Department.
Bongtae Han to be Promoted to Professor of Mechanical EngineeringAssociate Professor Bongtae Han will be promoted to Professor of Mechanical Engineering on July 1, 2006.
ME Faculty BriefsChair and DUP of Mechanical Engineering Avram Bar-Cohen and Professor Bala Balachandran in the spotlight.
Maryland, U.S. Army Sign Test Center AgreementEducational Partnership to Enhance MCART and Maryland Student Experience.
PROFESSOR JAE-EUNG OH VISITS CLARK SCHOOL ME DEPARTMENTProvost from Hangyang University in Korea Visits UMD to Foster Collaboration with ME Department.
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY SELECTS UMD AS REGION'S NEW ENERGY CENTERThe University will receive funding for the Center through the Maryland Energy Administration (MEA).
Mote Selected as One of Most "Influential People in Town"For the first time in the four years of running this survey, the "Forward Forty" have been ranked. Dr. Mote was ranked 20th.
First Annual Mechanical Engineering Research Review Day a Great SuccessFirst Annual Mechanical Engineering Research Review Day held at the University of Maryland's Inn and Conference Center on November 3, 2000.
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
National Academy of Engineering (NAE)
Other professional society fellows
- International Academy of Wood Science
- The Acoustical Society of America