Fischell Department of Bioengineering
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
Maryland MEMS and Microfluidics Lab
- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, 1997
- M.S., University of Maryland, College Park
- B.S., University of Maryland, College Park
Don L. DeVoe is a Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park, with affiliate appointments in the Department of Bioengineering and Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. He received his Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley in 1997 with a focus on microsystems technology. Dr. DeVoe’s current research interests include MEMS and microfluidics, with an emphasis on the development of technologies for diagnostics, bioanalysis, synthetic biology, and nanomedicine development. He serves as a Senior Editor of the IEEE/ASME Journal of MicroElectroMechanical Systems, and has also served on the editorial boards of Sensor Letters and the Journal Clinical Bioinformatic Science.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- University System of Maryland Regents Award for Research (2013)
- Kavli Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences (2008)
- NSF Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers for advances in microsystems technology (2000)
- NSF CAREER Award (1999)
- Board of Directors - Chemical and Biological Microsystems Society (CBMS)
- Senior Editor - Journal of MicroElectroMechanical Systems (J. MEMS)
MEMS; Microfluidic systems; Disposable technologies for diagnostics and bioanalysis; Microtechnology for synthetic biology; Nanomedicine development
- Selected Publications (see http://www.researcherid.com/rid/A-2891-2011 for a full listing)
- M. Mirzaeimoghri, A. Morales, A. Panna, E. Bennet, B. Lucotte, D.L. DeVoe, H. Wen, "Nano-printed miniature compound refractive lens for desktop hard x-ray microscopy," PLoS One, 13, e0203319, 2018.
- P. Hareesh, D.L. DeVoe, "Miniature bulk PZT traveling wave ultrasonic motors for low-speed high-torque rotary actuation," J. MEMS, 27, 547-554, 2018.
- S. Rauscher, H. Bruck, D.L. DeVoe, "Electrical Contact Resistance Force Sensing in SOI-DRIE MEMS," Sens. Act. A, 269, 474-482, 2018.
- A. Sposito, D.L. DeVoe, "Staggered trap arrays for robust microfluidic sample digitization," Lab Chip, 17, 4105-4112, 2017.
- S. Padmanabhan, D.L. DeVoe, "Controlled droplet discretization and manipulation using membrane displacement traps," Lab Chip, 17, 3717-3724, 2017.
- M.S. Wiederoder, S. Smith, P. Madzivhandila, D. Mager, K. Moodley, D.L. DeVoe, K.J. Land, "Novel functionalities of hybrid paper-polymer centrifugal devices for assay performance enhancement," Biomicrofluidics, 11, 054101, 2017.
- M. S. Wiederoder, E.L. Kendall, J.-H. Han, R.G. Ulrich, D. L. DeVoe "Flow-through microfluidic immunosensors with refractive index-matched silica monoliths as volumetric optical detection elements," Sens. Act. B, 254C, 878-886, 2017.
- J.Y. Han, O.D.Rahmanian, D.L. DeVoe, "Screw-actuated displacement micropumps for thermoplastic microfluidics," Lab Chip, 16, 3940-3946, 2016.
- A. Sposito, V. Hoang, D.L. DeVoe, "Rapid real-time PCR and high resolution melt analysis in a self-filling thermoplastic chip," Lab Chip, 16, 3524-3531, 2016.
- A.X. Lu, Y. Liu,H. Oh, A. Gargava, E. Kendall, Z. Nie, D.L. DeVoe, S.R. Raghavan, "Catalytic Propulsion and Magnetic Steering of Soft, Patchy Microcapsules: Ability to Pick-Up and Drop-Off Microscale Cargo," ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 8, 15676-15683, 2016.
- H. Oh, A.X. Lu, V. Javvaji, D.L. DeVoe, S.R. Raghavan, "Light-Directed Self-Assembly of Robust Alginate Gels at precise locations in microfluidic channels", ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 8, 17529-17538, 2016.
- M.S. Wiederoder, I. Misri, D.L. DeVoe, "Impedimetric immunosensing in a porous volumetric microfluidic detector," Sensors and Actuators B, 234, 493-497, 2016.
- R.R. Hood, D.L. DeVoe, "High throughput continuous flow production of nanoscale liposomes by microfluidic vertical flow focusing," Small, 11, 5790-2799, 2015.
- E.L. Kendall, J.Y. Han, M.S. Wiederoder, A. Sposito, A. Wilson, O.D. Rahmanian, D.L. DeVoe, "Soft lithography microfabrication of functionalized thermoplastics by solvent casting," Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics, 53, 1315-1323, 2015.
- J. Felder, E. Lee, D.L. DeVoe, "Large vertical displacement electrostatic microstage actuators," J. MEMS, 24, 896-903, 2015.
- M.S. Wiederoder, L. Peterken, A.X. Lu, O.D. Rahmanian, S. Raghavan, D.L. DeVoe, "Optical detection enhancement in porous volumetric microfluidic capture elements using refractive index matching fluids," Analyst, 140, 5724-5731, 2015.
- R.R. Hood, T. Wyderko, D.L. DeVoe, "Programmable digital droplet microfluidics using a multibarrel capillary bundle," Sens. Act. B, 220, 992-999, 2015.
- O.D. Rahmanian, D.L. DeVoe, "Single-use thermoplastic microfluidic burst valves enabling on-chip reagent storage," Microfluid. Nanofluid., 18, 1045-1053, 2015.
- K. Jiang, X. Lu, P. Dimitrakopoulos, D.L. DeVoe, S. Raghavan, "Microfluidic generation of uniform water droplets using gas as the continuous phase," J. Colloid and Interface Science, 448, 275-279, 2015.