Wilson Elkins Professor (2013-2015)
3118 Glenn L. Martin Hall, Bldg 088
Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University, 1979
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Fellow, American Physical Society
- Poole and Kent Teaching Award for Senior Faculty of the College of Engineering, University of Maryland 2003
- Distinguished Scholar Teacher University of Maryland 2004
- Wilson H. Elkins Professorship, University System of Maryland, 2013-2015
- Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Associate Editor 2010-2017
American Physical Society, Division of Fluid Dynamics:
- Secretary-Treasurer 2003-2006
- Coordinator of the Gallery of Fluid Motion 2001-2012
- Chair of the Annual Meeting Press Relations Committee 2008-2012
- Member-at-Large of the Executive Committee 2010-2013
- Chairmanship Track of the Executive Committee 2012-2016
Experimental and theoretical/numerical investigations of fluid flows Breaking water waves Growing and collapsing bubbles interacting with compliant boundaries Turbulent boundary layers interacting with compliant walls Quantitative flow visualization
- C. M. Ikeda, J. Wilkerling and J. H. Duncan, “The Implosion of Cylindrical Shell Structures in a High-Pressure Water Environment”, Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. Series A, Vol. 469, 20130443, 2013
- Kiger, K. T.; Duncan, J. H., “Air-Entrainment Mechanisms in Plunging Jets and Breaking Waves”, Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 44, pp. 563-596, 2012.
- Maxeiner, E., Shakeri, M., Duncan, J. H., "A Parametric Study of Breaking Bow Waves using a 2D+T Technique”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 687, pp. 540-570, 2011.
- Gomez-Ledesma, R., Kiger, K. T., Duncan, J. H. “The Impact of a Translating Plunging Jet on a Pool of the Same Liquid”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 680 pp. 5-30, 2011.
- Diorio, J. D., Cho, Y., Duncan, J. H. and Akylas, T., “Resonantly Forced Gravity-Capillary Lumps on Deep Water. Part 1. Experiments”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 672, pp. 268-287, 2011.
- Cho, Y., Diorio, J. D., Akylas, T., and Duncan, J. H. “Resonantly Forced Gravity-Capillary Lumps on Deep Water. Part 2. Theoretical Model”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 672, pp. 288-306, 2011.
- J. D. Diorio, Y. Cho, J. H. Duncan, and T. R. Akylas, "Resonantly forced gravity--capillary lumps on deep water. Part 1. Experiments," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, November, 2010.
- Y. Cho, J. D. Diorio, T. R. Akylas, and J. H. Duncan, "Resonantly forced gravity--capillary lumps on deep water. Part 2. Theory," Journal of Fluid Mechanics,November, 2010.
- Diorio, J. D., Cho, Y., Duncan, J. H. and Akylas, T., “Gravity-Capillary Lumps Generated by a Moving Pressure Source, Physical Review Letters, Vol. 201, Issue 21, Article Number: 214502, 2009.
- J. Diorio, X. Liu and J. H. Duncan, "An Experimental Investigation of Incipient Spilling Breaking," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 633, pp. 271-283, 2009.
- Shakeri, M., Tavakolinejad, M., and Duncan, J. H., “An Experimental Investigation of Divergent Bow Waves Simulated by a Two-Dimensional plus Time Technique”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 634, pp. 217-243, 2009.
- Shakeri, M., Maxeiner, E.; Fu, T. and Duncan, J. H., “An Experimental Examination of the 2D+T Approximation”, Journal of Ship Research, Vol. 53, Issue 2, pp. 59-67, 2009.