Maryland Robotics Center
Medical Robotics & Equipment Lab
Before joining the University of Maryland in 2017, Professor Axel Krieger has been Assistant Research Professor and program lead for Smart Tools at the Sheikh Zayed Institute for Pediatric Surgical Innovation at Children’s National, leading a group of scientists and engineers in the research and development of robotic tools and laparoscopic devices. Projects at Children's included the development of a surgical robot called smart tissue autonomous robot (STAR) and the use of 3D printing for surgical planning and patient specific implants. Professor Krieger holds several licensed patents for biomedical devices. He has several years of experience in private industry at Sentinelle Medical Inc and Hologic Inc. His role within these organizations was Product Leader developing devices and software systems from concept to FDA approval and market introduction. Axel completed his undergraduate and master’s degrees at the University of Karlsruhe in Germany and his doctorate at Johns Hopkins, where he pioneered an MRI guided prostate biopsy robot used in over 50 patient procedures at three hospitals.
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Karlsruhe
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, University of Karlsruhe
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University
Honors and Awards
- Popular Science, The 12 Most Important Health Innovations of The Year, Smart Tissue Autonomous Robot (STAR): Most Dexterous Robot, 2016
- University of Maryland Life Science Invention of the Year for Melchiorri, Krieger et. al., Patient Specific Vascular Grafts Patent Applications, 2014
- Best Paper Award by IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering (TBME), 2010.
Professional Memberships and Service
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Robotics and Automation Society
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Manuscript reviewer for:
- IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics
- International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery IJCARS
- International Conference on Robotics and Automation ICRA
- International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems IROS
- IEEE Transactions on Robotics
Professor Krieger’s research focuses on the development of novel tools, image guidance, and robot control techniques for medical robotics. Specifically, Professor Krieger investigates methodologies that increase the intelligence and autonomy of medical robots to perform previously impossible tasks and improve both efficiency and patient outcomes.
- Fukunishi T, Best CA, Sugiura T, Opfermann J, Ong CS, Shinoka T, Breuer CK, Krieger A, Johnson J, Hibino N. Preclinical study of patient-specific cell-free nanofiber tissue-engineered vascular grafts using 3-dimensional printing in a sheep model. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017 Apr;153(4):924-932.
- Decker RS, Shademan A, Opfermann JD, Leonard S, Kim PC, Krieger A. Biocompatible Near-Infrared Three-Dimensional Tracking System. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2017 Mar;64(3):549-556.
- Le HN, Decker R, Krieger A, Kang JU. Experimental assessment of a 3-D plenoptic endoscopic imaging system. Chinese Optics Letters. 2017 May 10;15(5):051701.
- Shademan, A., Decker, R. S., Opfermann, J. D., Leonard, S., Krieger, A., & Kim, P. C. (2016). Supervised autonomous robotic soft tissue surgery. Science Translational Medicine, 8(337), 337ra64-337ra64.
- Monfaredi R, Iordachita I, Wilson E, Sze R, Sharma K, Krieger A, Fricke S, Cleary K. Development of a Patient-Mounted MRI-Compatible Robot for MRI-Guided Diagnostic and Interventional Procedures, IEEE Trans Mechatronics, under review.
- Loke YH, Krieger A, Sable C, Olivieri LJ. Novel Uses for 3-Dimensional Printing in Congenital Heart Disease, Current Pediatrics Report, pp. 1-7 May 2016.
- Clark BC, Davis TD, El-Sayed Ahmed MM, McCarter R, Ishibashi N, Jordan CP, Kane TD, Kim PC, Krieger A, Nath DS, Opfermann JD, Berul CI. Minimally invasive percutaneous pericardial ICD placement in an infant piglet model: Head-to-head comparison with an open surgical thoracotomy approach. Heart Rhythm. 2016 May;13(5):1096-104. doi: 10.1016/j.hrthm.2015.12.015. PubMed PMID: 26690060.
- Olivieri LJ, Su L, Hynes CF, Krieger A, Alfares FA, Ramakrishnan K, Zurakowski D, Marshall MB, Kim PCW, Jonas RA, Nath DS. Just-in-time training using 3D printed cardiac models after congenital cardiac surgery. World Journal for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery, 7.2 (2016): 164-168.
- Melchiorri AJ, Hibino N, Best C, Yi T, Lee YU, Kraynak CA, Kimerer LK, Krieger A, Breuer CK, and Fisher JP. 3D printed biodegradable polymeric vascular grafts. Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2016 Feb;5(3):319-25.
- Cha J,* Shademan A,* Le HND, Decker R, Kim PCW, Kang JU, Krieger A. Multispectral tissue characterization for intestinal anastomosis optimization, J. Biomed. Opt. 2015 Sep: 20(10), 106001.
- Olivieri LJ, Krieger A, Loke YH, Nath DS, Kim PCW, and Sable CA. Three-Dimensional Printing of Intracardiac Defects from Three-Dimensional Echocardiographic Images: Feasibility and Relative Accuracy, J. Am. Soc. Echocardiogr, 2015 Feb: 28(4) 392-7.
- Costello JP, Olivieri LJ, Su L, Krieger A, Alfares F, Thabit O, Marshall MB, Yoo SJ, Kim PC, Jonas RA, and Nath DS. Incorporating Three-dimensional Printing into a Simulation-based Congenital Heart Disease and Critical Care Training Curriculum for Resident Physicians, Congenit. Heart Dis., 2014 Nov: 10: 185–190.
- Costello JP, Olivieri L, Krieger A, Thabit O, Marshall B, Yoo SJ, Kim PC, Jonas RA, Nath DS. Utilizing Three-Dimensional Printing Technology to Assess the Feasibility of High-Fidelity Synthetic Ventricular Septal Defect Models for Simulation in Medical Education, World Journal for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery, 2014 Jun 23;5(3):421-426. PMID: 24958045.
- Kim Y, Leonard S, Shademan A, Krieger A (Corresponding Author), Kim PC. Kinect Technology for Hand Tracking Control of Surgical Robots: Technical and Surgical Skill Comparison to Current Robotic Masters, Surg Endosc. 2014 Jun;28(6):1993-2000. PMID: 24380997
- Leonard S, Shademan A, Krieger A (Corresponding Author), Kim PC. Smart Tissue Anastomosis Robot (STAR): A Vision-Guided Robotics System for Laparoscopic Suturing. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng, 2014 Apr;61(4):1305-17. PMID: 24658254C
- Olivieri L, Krieger A, Chen MY, Kim P, Kanter JP. 3D Heart Model Guides Complex Stent Angioplasty of Pulmonary Venous Baffle Obstruction in a Mustard Repair of D-TGA. Int. J. Cardiol., 2014 Mar: 172(2) 297-298. PMID: 24447757
- Haider MA, Krieger A, Elliott C, Da Rosa M, Milot L. Evaluation of a Reusable 2-Channel Endorectal Receiver Coil for Prostate Imaging at 1.5T. Radiology. 2014 Feb;270(2):556-65. PMID: 24471393
- Jordan C, Wu KL, Ishibashi K, Krieger A, Kim PC, Kane TD, Berul CI. Minimally Invasive Resynchronization Pacemaker: Feasibility of a Novel Pediatric Implantation Route in a Piglet Model. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013 Dec;96(6):2210-3. PMID: 24296186
- Xu H, Lasso A, Guion P, Krieger A, Kaushal A, Singh AK, Pinto PA, Coleman J, Grubb RL 3rd, Lattouf JB, Menard C, Whitcomb LL, Fichtinger G. Accuracy analysis in MRI-guided robotic prostate biopsy. Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg., vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 937-44, 2013. PMID: 23532560
- Krieger A, Iordachita II, Guion P, Singh AK, Kaushal A, Menard C, Pinto PA, Camphausen K, Fichtinger G, Whitcomb LL. An MRI-Compatible Robotic System With Hybrid Tracking for MRI-Guided Prostate Intervention. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 2011 Nov;58(11):3049-3060.
- Krieger A, Song SE, Bongjoon Cho N, Iordachita II, Guion P, Fichtinger G, Whitcomb LL. Development and Evaluation of an Actuated MRI-Compatible Robotic System for MRI-Guided Prostate Intervention. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 2011 Oct;(99):1–12.
- Seifabadi R, Song S-E, Krieger A, Cho NB, Tokuda J, Fichtinger G, Iordachita I. Robotic system for MRI-guided prostate biopsy: feasibility of teleoperated needle insertion and ex vivo phantom study. Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg, 2011 Jun:7(2)181-190.
- Arani A, Plewes D, Krieger A, Chopra R. The feasibility of endorectal MR elastography for prostate cancer localization. Magn Reson Med, 2011 May 66: 1649–1657.
- Singh AK, Krieger A, Lattouf J-B, Guion P, Grubb RL 3rd, Albert PS, Metzger G, Ullman K, Smith S, Fichtinger G, Ocak I, Choyke P, Ménard C, Coleman J. Patient selection determines the prostate cancer yield of dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging-guided transrectal biopsies in a closed 3-Tesla scanner. BJU Int. 2008 Jan;101(2):181-185.
- Singh AK, Guion P, Sears-Crouse N, Ullman K, Smith S, Albert PS, Fichtinger G, Choyke PL, Xu S, Kruecker J, Wood BJ, Krieger A, Ning H. Simultaneous integrated boost of biopsy proven, MRI defined dominant intra-prostatic lesions to 95 Gray with IMRT: early results of a phase I NCI study. Radiat. Oncol. 2007;2:36.
- Fahmy AS, Krieger A, Osman NF. An integrated system for real-time detection of stiff masses with a single compression. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 2006 Jul;53(7):1286-1293.
- Chowning SL, Susil RC, Krieger A, Fichtinger G, Whitcomb LL, Atalar E. A preliminary analysis and model of prostate injection distributions. Prostate 2006 Mar;66(4):344-357.
- Susil RC, Ménard C, Krieger A, Coleman JA, Camphausen K, Choyke P, Fichtinger G, Whitcomb LL, Coleman CN, Atalar E. Transrectal prostate biopsy and fiducial marker placement in a standard 1.5T magnetic resonance imaging scanner. J. Urol. 2006 Jan;175(1):113-120.
- Ménard C, Susil RC, Choyke P, Coleman J, Grubb R, Gharib A, Krieger A, Guion P, Thomasson D, Ullman K, Gupta S, Espina V, Liotta L, Petricoin E, Fitchtinger G, Whitcomb LL, Atalar E, Coleman CN, Camphausen K. An interventional magnetic resonance imaging technique for the molecular characterization of intraprostatic dynamic contrast enhancement. Mo. Imaging 2005 Mar;4(1):63-66.
- Krieger A, Susil RC, Ménard C, Coleman JA, Fichtinger G, Atalar E, Whitcomb LL. Design of a novel MRI compatible manipulator for image guided prostate interventions. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 2005 Feb;52(2):306-313.
- Susil RC, Krieger A, Derbyshire JA, Tanacs A, Whitcomb LL, Fichtinger G, Atalar E. System for MR image-guided prostate interventions: canine study. Radiology 2003 Sep;228(3):886-894.
- Susil RC, Krieger A, Derbyshire J, Tanacs A, McVeigh E, Whitcomb LL, Fichtinger G, Atalar E. A system for guidance and monitoring of transrectal prostate biopsy in a 1 5 T closed MR scanner. European Radiology 2002;vol. 12(9).