Director, Nuclear Engineering Program
Director, Center for Risk and Reliability
Maryland Energy Innovation Institute
- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1980
Dr. Modarres has served as a consultant to several governmental agencies, private organizations and national laboratories in areas related to probabilistic risk assessment, prognosis and health management, probabilistic physics of failure, and fracture mecanics especially applications to complex systems and processes such as the nuclear power plants. He has over 400 papers in archival journals and proceedings of conferences and five books in various areas of risk and reliability engineering.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2008 International Research Leadership Award conferred by the Society for Reliability Engineering, Quality and Operations Management
- Distinguished Scholar-Teacher Award, 1994-95
- Fellow, American Nuclear Society
- M. Modarres, "Risk Analysis in Engineering: Probabilistic Techniques, Tools and Trends," CRC Press (2006).
- F. Joglar, F. Mowrer, M. Modarres, "A Probabilistic Model for Fire Detection with Applications," Fire Technology J., 41, 151-172 (2005).
- S. Chamberlain, M. Modarres, "Compressed Natural Gas Safety: A Quantitative Analysis," Risk Analysis J., 25, 377-389 (2005).
- J. L. Hurtado , F. Joglar , M. Modarres, "Generalized Renewal Process: Models, Parameter Estimation and Applications to Maintenance Problems," International Journal on Performability Engineering, 1, July (2005).
- W. Keller, M. Modarres, "A historical overview of probabilistic risk assessment development and its use in the nuclear power industry: a tribute to the late Professor Norman Carl Rasmussen," Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 89, 271-285 (2005).
- M. Modarres, "Technology-Neutral Nuclear Power Plant Regulation: Implications of a Safety Goals-Driven Performance-Based Regulation," Nuclear Engineering & Technology, Vol. 37, No.3 (2005).
Reliability engineering graduate student received $500 for her paper.
Other professional society fellows
- American Nuclear Society