Ph.D., University of Illinois, 1989
Abhijit Dasgupta conducts his research on the mechanics of engineered, heterogeneous, active materials, with special emphasis on the micromechanics of constitutive and damage behavior. He applies his expertise to several multifunctional material systems. His research contributions include solution techniques for coupled boundary value problems in multifunctional particulate and laminated composites, micromechanics approaches for constitutive properties of advanced 3-D composites, dynamic behavior and failure of thick composites, micromechanics of fatigue damage in viscoplastic eutectic-alloy composites and in short-fiber polymeric composites, and self-health monitoring in “smart” systems. He applies these principles for developing effective virtual qualification tools, for optimizing manufacturing process windows, for real-time health monitoring and for devising quantitative accelerated testing strategies used in qualification and quality assurance of complex electronic, electromechanical and structural systems. He has published over 150 journal articles and conference papers on these topics, presented over 20 short workshops nationally and internationally, served on the editorial boards of three different international journals, organized several national and international conferences, and received six awards for his contributions in materials engineering research and education.
HONORS AND AWARDS
Villanova University's Carl Humphrey Memorial Award, 2002
- Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging, 93-96
- Member, Editorial Board, International Journal for Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 1994-97
- Darbha, K., and A. Dasgupta, “A Nested Finite Element Methodology for Stress Analysis of Electronic Products,” ASME Transactions in Electronic Packaging, Vol. 123, No. 2; Part I: Theory and Formulation, pp. 141-146; Part II: Durability Analysis of Flip Chip and Chip Scale Interconnects, pp. 147-155, 2001.
- Dasgupta, A., P. Sharma, and K. Upadhyayula, “Micro-Mechanics of Fatigue Damage in Pb-Sn Solder Due to Vibration and Thermal Cycling,” International Journal of Damage Mechanics, Vol. 10, No. 2. pp. 101-132, 2001.
- Shetty, S., V. Lehtinen, A. Dasgupta, V. Halkola, and T. Reinikainen, “Fatigue of Chip-Scale Package Interconnects due to Cyclic Bending,” ASME Transactions in Electronic Packaging, Vol. 123, No. 3, pp. 302-308, 2001.
- Darbha, K., J. Okura, and A. Dasgupta, “Thermo-mechanical Durability of Flip Chip Interconnects,” ASME Transactions in Electronic Packaging, Vol. 121, Part I: Without Underfill, pp. 231-236; Part II: With Underfill, pp. 237-242, 2000.
- Alghamdi, A., and A. Dasgupta, “Eigenstrain Techniques for Modeling Adaptive Structures: Part I: Active Stiffening; Part II: Active Damping,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 11, No. 8, pp. 631-641, 2000.
Other professional society fellows
- Society of Engineering Sciences